For Immediate Release – February 18, 2022
The Wayne County Prosecuting Attorney is seeking a full-time Legal Secretary for working in its Misdemeanor Division.
Position: Legal Secretary–Misdemeanor Division
Legal Secretary Job Purpose: Provides administrative assistance and support to Prosecuting Attorney and his assistant prosecuting attorneys.
Misdemeanor Division Legal Secretary Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Extensive familiarity with, and ability to use, Word and Excel software;
- Ability to learn and use MatrixPointe software (hereinafter “Matrix”) in all aspects of processing Misdemeanor Division cases;
- Drafting of a variety of legal documentation (e.g., charges, memos, correspondence, subpoenas, motions, discoveries, amendments, addendums, praecipes etc.);
- Responsively and courteously handling all incoming inquiries (whether by phone, mail, email, or office visit) to the Misdemeanor Division and/or Felony Division;
- Maintaining, filing and accessing all Misdemeanor Division records;
- Maintaining and updating any requisite Misdemeanor Division reports (e.g., “After 45 days report”);
- Preparing paperwork and maintaining files for all Misdemeanor Division cases;
- Drafting and filing of destruction/forfeiture orders in Misdemeanor Division cases and, when signed, route to the appropriate agencies;
- Processing sealing of record requests and orders;
- Subpoenaing and calling off witnesses/officers for any Misdemeanor Division hearings;
- Maintaining Misdemeanor Division prosecutor’s calendars;
- Maintaining the voice mail messaging system for after work hours;
- Maintaining professional appearance of the office;
- Maintaining misdemeanor case files pursuant to the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Record Retention Schedule;
- Maintaining a professional relationship with outside agencies;
- Collecting information associated with cases not normally submitted by law enforcement (e.g. BMV packets, certified prior records, criminal histories);
- Retrieving, opening, sorting, date-stamping, and distributing incoming mail;
- Retrieving and reviewing case files for following day’s docket;
- Copying and sending facsimiles of documents to appropriate requestors;
- Performing duties for the Civil Division, Juvenile Division and/or Felony Division as necessary;
- Meeting all job safety requirements and all applicable OSHA safety standards that pertain to essential functions;
- Tracking incarceration status of criminal defendants for calculation of speedy trial deadlines; and
- Any other duties which the Prosecuting Attorney or an assistant prosecuting attorney may assign.
Skills/Qualifications: Reporting Skills, Administrative Writing Skills, Microsoft Office Skills, Managing Processes, Organization, Analyzing Information, Professionalism, Verbal Communication.
Please send a Wayne County Employment Application (can be downloaded from Wayne County http://www.wayneohio.org/employment-opportunities or obtained from the Wayne County Commissioner’s Office, 428 W. Liberty Street, Wooster, Ohio), resume and cover letter stating your ability to address the responsibilities of this position to: Wayne County Prosecuting Attorney, 115 West Liberty Street, Wooster, OH 44691, no later than noon, Friday, March 4, 2022.
The Wayne County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office is an Equal Opportunity Employer